Can You Offer 100% Development Finance Without A Profit Share?
Yes, it is possible to take out development finance without putting down a deposit or profit sharing with a joint venture partner.
In order to do this, you would be expected to provide additional security in lieu of a deposit by way of a charge over another property, or properties. This could be your own home, investment properties or even land that is to be used for future developments.
100% funding without additional security will always result in profit share.
Do I Qualify?
In order to qualify, you will need to meet the following criteria:-
- Be an experienced developer – this means you will have completed at least one development of similar scale to the one you’re proposing.
- Have a profitable scheme – in excess of 20%, but ideally with a margin of over 30%.
- Your project has full planning permission in place.
- The gross development value is at least £1,000,000.
How it Works
When taking out JV development finance, the issue of ownership is usually one that confuses people. Usually, the property will be placed in a special purpose vehicle (SPV).
This is a Ltd. company set up purely to own the asset and hold the liability. The SPV will usually be owned by the funder, with a guarantee in your favour.
The Benefits of Joint Venture Development Finance
Using a JV development finance lender instead of using your own funds allows you to develop quickly without having to tie up your own funds. By taking this route, although profits are shared, more projects can be taken on, meaning your potential profit can actually grow.
By taking on an SPV with the lender, you would also save significantly on legal fees, with only one set of legal fees being payable.
Where projects are located nearby, cost savings can be made by sharing resources between your sites.
How Are Joint Venture Development Finance Applications Assessed?
Joint venture property development lenders are taking all of the financial risk of the application and will want to see a reward for doing so. As such, applications are subject to strict underwriting on the following basis:
- Experience: This is crucial, as lenders want to ensure you have a track record of delivering the sort of scheme you are looking to build out.
- Profit: Funders will assess the likely profit in two ways:
- Firstly, they will judge the uplift in total cost of at least 30% for the scheme to be viable. It goes without saying, but the higher the margin, the more attractive the proposal.
- Secondly, potential JV partners will generally only get involved in sites with a GDV over £1m. Sites above £2,000,000 tend to be the most attractive due to the increased potential profit.
- Exit: Another key point is exiting the loan. Demand must be strong for the finished units. Your scheme must be able to demonstrate saleability. Location of the site tends to go hand in hand with this point.
What Information Will I Need to Supply?
In order to assess a potential application, we usually need to see the following information:-
- A fully completed proposal form (get in touch and we can send you one).
- Your development CV.
- A detailed schedule of works.
- A detailed schedule of costs.
- Full copy of planning permissions (or a link to the planning portal showing permissions).
- Detail around the end value of the scheme.
How Can I Increase My Chances of Success?
Detail is crucial to the success of these applications. The key points of consideration are the perceived construction risk, the perceived sales risk and the profitability of the scheme.
As an applicant, your job is to satisfy any potential funder that these risks are as low as possible. This is done by providing top quality information that will give comfort and allow a funder to really understand you and the proposal.
You can’t change your level of experience or the location of the site, but you can help a partner to really understand why the deal is so appealing to you. It’s key that you help to paint this picture, as it’s imperative that you gain buy in with the information that you supply.
The two key methods of ensuring that the scheme comes across as well as possible are the hard data provided and the presentation of the documents. The better each of these are, the higher your chances of success.
100% development finance is offered on a profit share basis, with an agreed split on completion shared. Traditionally, profits are usually shared on a 50/50 basis, although we are often able to secure 60/40 in your favour for strong applications.
Call us Today or Enquire Online
Our team has a huge amount of joint venture development finance experience and relationships with all the top lenders. By working with us, you can access the whole market through one simple, quick enquiry.
We manage the whole process for you, meaning you can focus solely on the upcoming build while we negotiate with multiple funders on your behalf to secure the best terms.
Enquire online now or call us on 01922 620008 to get a free personalised 100% development finance quote.