How it Works
When taking out JV development finance, the issue of ownership is usually one that confuses people. Usually, the property will be placed in a special purpose vehicle (SPV).
This is a Ltd. company set up purely to own the asset and hold the liability. The SPV will usually be owned by the funder, with a guarantee in your favour.
The Benefits of Joint Venture Development Finance
Using a JV development finance lender instead of using your own funds allows you to develop quickly without having to tie up your own funds. By taking this route, although profits are shared, more projects can be taken on, meaning your potential profit can actually grow.
By taking on an SPV with the lender, you would also save significantly on legal fees, with only one set of legal fees being payable.
Where projects are located nearby, cost savings can be made by sharing resources between your sites.
How Are Joint Venture Development Finance Applications Assessed?
Joint venture property development lenders are taking all of the financial risk of the application and will want to see a reward for doing so. As such, applications are subject to strict underwriting on the following basis:
- Experience: This is crucial, as lenders want to ensure you have a track record of delivering the sort of scheme you are looking to build out.
- Profit: Funders will assess the likely profit in two ways:
- Firstly, they will judge the uplift in total cost of at least 25% for the scheme to be viable. It goes without saying, but the higher the margin, the more attractive the proposal.
- Secondly, potential JV partners will generally only get involved in sites with a GDV over £1m. Sites above £2,000,000 tend to be the most attractive due to the increased potential profit.
- Exit: Another key point is exiting the loan. Demand must be strong for the finished units. Your scheme must be able to demonstrate saleability. Location of the site tends to go hand in hand with this point.
100% development finance is offered on a profit share basis, with an agreed split on completion shared. Traditionally, profits are usually shared on a 50/50 basis, although we are often able to secure 60/40 in your favour for strong applications.
Call us Today or Enquire Online
Our team has a huge amount of joint venture development finance experience and relationships with all the top lenders. By working with us, you can access the whole market through one simple, quick enquiry.
We manage the whole process for you, meaning you can focus solely on the upcoming build while we negotiate with multiple funders on your behalf to secure the best terms.
Enquire online now or call us on 01922 620008 to get a free personalised 100% development finance quote.